Thanks for stopping by and visiting my page!
?

Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Cried, I Laughed, I Cried Some More

Everybody in my circle of friends knows that I am an avid reader. Now I must admit that the kind of books I read aren't the type that college classes like to interpret and base papers on. They are the juicy books filled with gossip, scandal, and the occasional murder that have you reading them in a corner and giggling to yourself, I know, welcome to my world! lol.


So anywhooo, after a work week filled with some serious overtime, I finally got a day off. You know how it is when you know you want to get out of the house? I didn't have anything planned. My sis/bestie was at school. My other bestie was working and I didn't feel like fooling around with any guys, so I grabbed my 'Pod, got in Jackie and I dipped out. Now I decided that I was a baby bit hungry (I promise this post has a point and I'm getting to it) and stopped at a local spot to get my grub on. I pulled out my current reading selection while the waitress was making her way to my table. When I tell you that she FLIPPED out when she saw my book- chile, she flipped OUT!
"OHMYGOD! When I tell you that that is my book, THAT IS MY BOOK! I took it with me EVERYWHERE. I would be reading it between waiting tables like, 'Yeah I'll get your refills after I finish up this page' "
"That's what I hear. This is actually my friend's copy. She bought it and was like 'Chelle, you REALLY need to read this book. It's really good."
"It is. I can't wait to see the movie. I mean, when I saw those previews and found out it was based on a book, I went to the store and bought it. I literally got the last copy at Wal-Mart. And when I went to get my mom a copy, it was sold out at Books-A-Million and Barnes and Noble."
"Oh, well I was just at the Books-A-Million at Concord Mills and they had a whole display up."
"Dang, I don't wanna go that far but I might have to! Well let me let you get back to the book."

And so I sipped on my peach tea and read a chapter while waiting on my tuna melt and fries. When she came back with my food, she actually sat down across from me and we started talking again. She was a black girl, maybe 23-27 years old and was very talkative. I hardly got to comment back on some of the things she was saying, but once she started telling me her story, I was just AMAZED.


"You just don't understand, I AM Precious. Like, I didn't know who my dad was but my mom was a crack addict and my uncle would come at night and molest me. I really started reading books because it felt like I was able to escape my reality that way. I have tons of books and my son is the same way. I'll be reading my book and he's right there beside me reading his. Like, he had the book upside down and he'll turn the pages and put it down. Then he'll look at me and say, 'Mom. Apple' and I'm like 'Really? That's deep' And he's only three but it's good to see him being that interested in books."

That's why I love reading. Black, white, brown, yellow, hot-pink polka-dotted, everyone can relate to a good book. I've had conversations with middle aged white ladies in Books-A-Million over books and authors and those were some great conversations. So do me a favor- read a book! I turned my sis into a reader. She may not be obssessed with books like me but she takes books from my library from time to time and read them. And we're talking about a girl who only read magazines, and when I say read I really mean look at the pictures. We can start you off with the book I'm reading: Push by Sapphire. Warning: it is written in dialogue- meaning that the author writes the story like how the main character talks. It's only 139 pages.

My Top 7 Favorite Authors:

  1. Carl Weber (He always know how to put a good plot twist in his stories)


  2. Mary B Morrison (She knows how to write some good scandal and sex scenes)


  3. E. Lynn Harris  (After reading his books, you'll give every man the side eye for 'suspicious behavior')

  4. Jackie Collins (Her books are always about the movers and shakers in Hollywood and usually they're at least 430 pages- no lie)


  5. Janet Evanovich (The Stephanie Plum Series. It's about this laid off lingerie buyer who decides to take a job at her cousin's bond agency as a bounty hunter. Some of the stuff that happens are outrageous and funny)


  6. Linda Howard (Good romantic suspense writer, and what I like about her is that she's really detailed.)


  7. Eric Jerome Dickey (I recommend the Gideon series to any guy. It's about this badass assassin and he's in all these exotic locations killing people and sexing down broads. LOVES IT!)

**I could've written some more authors but not enough time in the world. This list actually started off as my favorite 3 authors, then 5 and now 7! lol**

Loves and Likes Ya


3 comments:

Miss♥K said...

I saw the movie this past Tuesday- want to read the book now- I love to read myself- I like authors 1 2 and 7 on your list- never read the other people- will have to check them out-I like mystery writer James Patterson too-other than that I have a wide variety of authors where Ive only read 1 of their books so its hard to say if I truly like them or not...

Miss♥K said...

oh by the way- my cousins name is Rachelle but we often call her chellebell :o)

Ms. ChelleBell said...

I actually haven't seen the movie yet! :( Carl Weber is my MAN though, lol. I'm a lil excited because I got an email from one of my fave bookstores saying that he's planning a pajama jammie jam when author Mary B Morrison comes. Hell or high water- I WILL be there!