Thanks for stopping by and visiting my page!
?

Monday, March 22, 2010

Smacking on Sushi

I know it's been a hot lil minute but I've got some posts brewing on the back burners, just have to get off my lazy ASS and develop the ideas. Today, however, we're going to talk about my lunch date with Mr. Man- aka Ced.

He invited me to have lunch with him at this all you can eat sushi place. He bragged about it and hassled me about it (he asked me like fitty-leven times if I ate sushi. Yes) So I said sure, I mean, I did say (to myself) that we can be friends and friends do lunch. So we say 11:30. His time management skills are worse than mine so I leave my house at 11:30 when he calls and says he stuck in traffic. I get there sooner than expected and he's still stuck in traffic. He doesn't meet me until almost an HOUR later! UGH. So we walk in the place and he's showing off his limited Japanese we sit down and then we get up to get some grub. He makes it back to the table before I do and gave me a short lesson on how to use my chopsticks (cuz the only way I use chopsticks is in my hair- you remember that don't you? With the little studs on top? Girl STOP! Couldn't tell me NOTHING!) Back to the subject.

He's doing some more of his bootleg Japanese on the waitress. Yes, I am aware that you were stationed in Japan, please don't be a dick and try to show off. So I'm working it out with the chopsticks and he's smacking. While eating sushi? That's one of my pet peeves. Top of the list most definitely. How do you smack while eating SUSHI?! Anyways, we're making light conversation, ("I can't believe you like sushi" "Why? You've only asked me like a hundred times." "I just wanted to make sure. Make sure you weren't lying." "And I would lie about eating sushi because...?" And hush mouth.) And he says, "We're the only black people in here." I dunno. Something about that statement rubbed me the wrong way, even though it sounds like something I would say any other day. But I say, "Well, there's at least 5 other black people here so it's not that bad." Then the ignorance continues to pour out his mouth.

"Why is it that you think black people don't eat sushi?" And I give him one of my trademarked looks but that doesn't stop him. "Do you think it's because of ignorance? Or they're too afraid to try it?"
And he's still smacking while he's asking me this. I'm wishing I can just walk away and chalk this experience up to life but he's staring me down and he's actually expecting me to...answer?
"Umm. I dunno. I don't think it's ignorance. Sometimes people don't feel a need to try new things or may not have the chance or opportunity to try something new. I would've never tried it if my ex didn't take me to try it. Not that I was afraid to, I just never thought about it like that."
And I spend the rest of the lunch drinking water and eating sushi. Glad when it was over. Obviously I'm gonna have to rethink this friend thing! Shara says he was probably trying to impress me and was so nervous that he didn't know what to say. But then I told her how when the bill came up he asked if I wanted to go half on it. I'm not a goldigger. On the contrary, I am very understanding about financial matters. However, HE invited ME for lunch so I was under the impression he was paying. This is the 2nd time he did something like this to me. Shara says that was a no-no and I should just cut him loose. I pretty much did that when I paid for my half and left a tip.

Loves and Likes Ya

0 comments: