Thanks for stopping by and visiting my page!
?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

This Is Who We Look Up To In 2009? Really?

It's just a bit unsettling for me to see grown ass women emulating the style of Barbie. As a girl who grew up with a Barbie Dream House, Pool House, Corvette, Jeep, Minivan, and I can go on, I understand the fascination with Barbies. I understand- the bitch has everything and can do anything in stilettos. But so does Kimora Lee Simmons, who insisted on being enterprising instead of just a piece of arm candy for her wildly successful husband. Seriously, have you SEEN her CLOSET? I mean, I'm not tryna knock a chick's hustle because I got a couple of her songs on the Pod, must Nicki Minaj call herself a harajuku barbie? 

And what's with this fascination of Marilyn Monroe? I'm not quite understanding that either. Not when we have stars like Dorothy Dandridge- who had more obstacles to overcome than Marilyn and she was the 3rd African American to be nominated for an Academy Award. Or Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll, Billie Holiday, hell Eartha Kitt! We have so many beautiful, talented, glamorous black women we can look up to- why Marilyn? How about the role models of today? Why are these girls trying to be Nicki? That's what's wrong with these kids nowadays? Lemme stop- cuz I can go on about this- trust me!

Loves and Likes Ya

0 comments: