Thanks for stopping by and visiting my page!
?

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Everybody is Prejudiced?

It's true. I mean, I think I've always done a good job of hiding my prejudices, but working at the hotel reeeaaallly brings it out tenfold. So what brings this topic about? Well remember how I told you that we got robbed? Of course Yolanda doesn't feel comfortable working at night. I mean- the guy flashed a gun at her while the great room was filled with guests, so can you imagine how she would feel working alone while everyone is in their bed? She put up a brave front but the managers were acting like they didn't know why she felt nervous. Yea, they're real assjacks. So Trina is tellin her that she needs to milk the company as much as she can- paid time off and use this as an opportunity to get the day shifts she always wanted. Yolanda does all that and in the middle of negotiations about her day shifts, Trina and Darlene talk. Basically Darlene was talkin out the side of her neck (like always) and Trina had to set her straight (thats my girl!) and told her that if it would've happened to Mel or Leslie, than she wouldn't be reacting this way. Darlene says she's not prejudiced and Trina straight up told her- "Yes you are. Everyone is prejudiced"

 
That was deep. Everyone is prejudiced. Whether its sex, age, race, or social classes, everyone is prejudiced. We already have preconceived notions of other people in our minds and we're constantly encouraging people to prove those notions true. When a walk-in comes to my front desk, the first question I have to ask myself is: Do I think this person will uphold the reputation of this hotel? That question alone is prejudiced. In a world full of gummi bears and lollipops, anybody who walks through the that hotel door with money, should be able to get a room. In reality, if you look suspicious (let that be read as: young/black or pwt/don't enunciate your words/colorful clothes or raggedy clothes with an odor) you're liable to be told that we're sold out or the price will get jacked up by 75% (we're not taking any chances) At first, when they told me to do that, I was a bit flabbergasted. Now, I practice it almost every weekend. Yea I'm prejudiced, because if a cute guy comes up to the desk, he's gettin that room! lol

 
This list WILL offend someone. Sorry

 
THINGS I KNOW FROM WORKING AT A HOTEL
this stuff is true like 62% of the time!

 
  • Old people and Middle Eastern Indians WILL haggle you about the prices. This is a give in. Old people will ask for AAA on top of AARP on top of Military. Indians will ask about special rates for Priority Club, or any other affialition.
  • Black people WILL ask for a "hook-up" They see a sista girl behind the desk and they want to pretend like we play cousins so they can use my discount? For Real? And will YOU be making my car payments, insurance, and cell phone bills? Didn't think so. You ain't THAT damn cute.
  • Middle aged white people are bothersome. This is a broad generalization that works for me 50% of the time. Oh they whine. They whine so much that I have to check my name tag to make sure it doesn't say babysitter!
  • White people don't listen! They don't. It's like talking to a brick wall. And if they pretend to listen, which is a courtesy they offer occasionally, they're thinking how to prove you wrong. You can't tell me that I'm not telling you the truth! ALL 4 out of the 5 white people I work with do this on the daily.
  • Young people WILL party. No matter what they tell you. Some people will come to the room and bottles (and kitties) will be popped. I don't care all that much- as long as they pass the bottle! :p

There's more but I can't quite think of it now. What are you're prejudices?

Loves and Likes Ya

0 comments: