Thanks for stopping by and visiting my page!
?

Monday, May 31, 2010

Being Prepared for Business: The Post Formerly Known As- Are Black People Less Prepared For The Business World Than White People?

So I told you about JoyKILL? Well, I've been observing her habits and mannerisms (since I'm stuck with the broad once a week and I have to relieve her twice a week) And I began to wonder...Are we (black people) less prepared for the business world than white people?

Joy is actually Hispanic, but doesn't look it. Her first name is Consuella but she goes by Joy to eliminate any discrimination. She once said she can speak Spanish fluently- but she can't tell anyone. She loves office supplies, carries around a day planner in which she diligently writes reminders for appointments and keeps track of her hours, she once confessed that she spent days agonizing over her signature because her mother told her it was important...blah blah blah, sorry, I have the tendency to just tune her out after a while.

I just kinda looked at these characteristics as...well, trying to keep it nice, as little things that make Joy so "special" but after my interviews with that other hotel, I had some more time to think. I'm not quite sure where I acquired my skills for job interviews and workplace conduct. I'm thinking it was school, but not once do I remember my parents sitting me down and giving me tips for a successful interview and how to succeed in the business world. I mean, the only thing I can remember is my Dad drilling the need to be on time into my head, but that's about it. Trina talks all the time about appearances when it comes to professionalism.  She fussed at her daughter when she dyed her dreads some bright red and got her lip pierced and got a tattoo on her wrist. Her exact words to her child was: "What kind of job are you expecting to have besides McDonald's?"  I've never had that talk about professionalism with my parents either. Probably because on the outside I'm kinda boring. No flashy clothing, I prefer to keep it classy, and the most drastic thing I've ever done with my hair was when I got highlights. Imagine my horror when the deep mahogany color the stylist mixed became a bright red once applied on my head. The more I washed it though, the more the color came out, leaving it a pretty nice color:

When I first came to work, with the bright red color, I got a lot of compliments. My general manager, wanting to see what the hoopla was, came out of her office and though she tried, couldn't conceal the initial shock. She covered it up by smiling and saying, "That's very different on you." I expressed to her that the color turned out to be waaay brighter than what I intended and I saw her facial muscles begin to relax as she realized that I didn't do it on purpose. Trina told me the color was nice and although she didn't approve when Shay wanted the same color, my demeanor was able to carry the color without it appearing too "ghetto"  

Doubletree didn't seem to have the same opinion however, and asked if I minded dying my hair a more "natural" color if I were hired for the job. My feelings weren't hurt because, once again, the color wasn't really what I wanted anyway. But the more I started looking at my hair, I realized that wasn't a damn thing wrong with it. By the time I went on that interview, it was the color of the above picture, which wasn't that crazy. I did get hired and kept the "If they don't say nothing- I ain't gon' say nothing" policy. Worked fine, considering I resigned from the position anyway. 9 damn 50. Are they hitting the pipe?

And maybe there is a gross generalization with my title, maybe it's just that MY PARENTS weren't actively preparing me for the business world, but looking at some of my coworkers, it does make me wonder if they had any preparation themselves. I mean, just look at Christine. So the more I type, the more I realize that this post, well the original title isn't all that. I do wonder if good judgment and good upbringing replace the lessons that should be taught when it comes to the business world? Maybe that's why my parents never really mentioned anything. I have a good head on my shoulders and, for the most part, my parents see that so maybe that's why they didn't deem it necessary? *shrugs shoulders* What do you think?

Loves and Likes Ya

0 comments: